Thursday, March 13, 2008

Patron of the Arts

The thing I like best
about the foolishness
of modern economics
is that anyone can be
a patron of the arts.

I'm a dabbler, which means
I have collections of
a number of things, which
are constantly growing,
comics, movies, books, CDs,
even art as it's known today,
"paintings" (I have a ship
that was probably mass-produced,
found in a K-Mart and with
me ever since), posters,
knick-knacks that cover surfaces
like mini-statues, even
some stuffed animals (crazy
about dee monkeys), and
when I'm not buying, I'm
paying, to see movies, or
the occasional concerts and plays,
which were some of the best things
I did in college, built into
the cost of admission.

The real shame is, even if
I didn't do any of that, I
would still be steeped heavily
in the arts, as someone
trying very hard to add to them.
The great thing, though,
is if I never get a penny
for those efforts, I'll still
have succeeded in contributing,
in some way, as a patron of the arts.

No comments: